What tests should be done before the plant?
The selection comes after a series of tests such as:
* Traditional audiological tests (tone, voice, impedance, and v. Evoked potentials).
* Evaluation of prosthetic performance (benefits to the hearing aid, if used), and if the subject, although the hearing was devoid of residual hearing aid, the evaluation will be made after a period of its application and intensive acoustic stimulation. In the young child this period shall not be less than 6 / 10 months.
* The absence of benefit is one of the elements favorable to the system. The assessment hearing is usually carried out by the pathologist according to a well-defined protocol that differs in relation to the performance of the individual.
* Test the cape for the evaluation of the conductivity of the nerve. The test consists of sending a micro-electric current of a certain intensity and frequency on the medial wall of the middle ear to detect the sensations sound transposed by the patient. In adults, this test is very simple (a thin needle punctures the eardrum anesthetized) and fast (10/15 minutes). The test is positive even when there are few nerve fibers can respond to electrical stimulation.
* Computed Tomography - CT and / or magnetic resonance imaging: these tests for the evaluation of the patency of the cochlea.
* Tests for any traditional surgery under general anesthesia.
Neuropsychiatric (if any):
* Examination of cognitive functions (intelligence)
* Examination of the visual perceptual functions, visual-motor)
* Personality tests
* Evaluation of the emotional (anxiety, depression)
* Assessment of the motivation system.
The person who is preparing cochlear implant, and possibly the parents in the case of the patient in childhood should be clear in some of the concepts:
* The intervention reduces but does not cancel the hearing
* Logopedic rehabilitation post-installation must
* Commitment, trust and will are the preconditions for achieving the best result.
NEVER the installation should be done if these concepts are understood and accepted.
Placement Test logopedic:
* Evaluation of hearing
* Test of language or lip reading
* Assessment of the level of memory
* Examining the phonetic aspect, morphosyntactic and vocabulary of the language (important in a child)
All tests are performed as an outpatient, except for specific cases. At the end of the inspection, the specialist team will take the appropriate decisions.